Sign Language

Kia Ora. This SLJ activity is called Sing Without Sound which is about Sign Languages. Sign Language is a communication language by using hands for people who are deaf. For this activity we have to watch the New Zealand Sign Language Alphabet video and then complete a letter matching activity. My favourite part of this activity was learning different letters in Sign Language but it was a bit hard. This reminds me of when it was sign language week me and my friend were trying to introduce ourselves in sign language.

Have you ever tried Sign Language before?

Here is my Presentation:

3 thoughts on “Sign Language

1. Hi Jack, it can be a bit tricky remembering the different letters in sign so well done for trying. See how you go if you just focus on your name, I bet you will get fast in no time. I have worked with children who are death and having a language such as sign that helps you communicate is great fun. I look for ward to your next post.

2. Kia ora Jack,

It’s Simon here from the Summer Learning Journey team. Awesome work on finishing another Summer Learning Journey task. You’ve done a fantastic job and you have presented your slides very clearly on your post. Ka pai!

I have tried to learn the alphabet in Sign Language before. I guess it’s tricky, just like learning any new language though. I had to double check what the sign was for each letter and you have done so well! How did it go when you were working on introductions during Sign Language week?

Are there any languages you would like to learn or do you know any other languages other than English? I would love to learn German.

I can’t wait to see what activity you choose next.

Ngā mihi,
    Simon (SLJ)

3. Kia ora Jack,
    I like your blog post Jack. I think its important to know some sign words especially how to sign your name. I remember watching the news bulletin when covid first arrived and there would be news updates on T.V I would listen to what would be happening BUT watching the person using sign language. Did you know there is a Maori Waiata that has ‘sign’ and singing. Keep up the awesome blog posts. Ka mau te wehi.
    Whaea Ronnie